I wanna get back into baking more nutritious gluten-free desserts.
I took a lil’ break there for awhile but now I’m ready to strike up the oven and get my bake on.
I kinda wanna get my kitchen all messy with flour and spend my day making nutritious treats without added sugars then sit in the sunshine on my back deck and eat my treats with a spoon.
Wanna join me?
This fresh berry n’ basil crumble is perfect for just that — a simple spring or summer treat that’s sure to please your taste buds and will keep your family (or guests) yearning for the recipe. It has a crunchy, golden crust made from almonds and a soft, fluffy interior filled with berries and yep, you guessed it…basil!
Basil in baking?
Let’s just say it takes the place of added sugar and it’s O’ so good.
Seriously, this dessert was MADE for a spring treat. I developed it in a similar fashion to my holiday crisps that I make for Christmas but this time I switched around a few ingredients and used almond meal. WOW- what a hearty flavor. Have you ever tried? It’s the perfect treat and makes delicious oatmeal to boot! Just add a dollop of this to your morning oatmeal and you’ve got yourself a sweet surprise. It’s pretty gosh darn amazing.
Don’t think about it- just do it tomorrow morning.
The only thing left to do is to pop it into the oven and dig in. Who can resist a fresh fruit crumble warm from the oven?
Not me. That’s for sure.
I like my warm crumble with a cup of almond milk…and a touch of ground cinnamon. O ya and … you get the point.
Go ahead and recreate this masterpiece in your own kitchen and have fun. Because that’s what baking is all about…having fun and enjoying good food with family and friends.
Dig in! It’s addicting.
I created this recipe for the Almond Board of California; check out my other tasty recipes in the Almond Board’s Spring Booklet, free to download here.
- ½ cup almond meal or almond flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons stevia powder
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange zest, divided
- Pinch of sea salt
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 pound fresh raspberries
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 375˚ F. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine almond meal or almond flour, coconut flakes, slivered almonds, stevia, allspice, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of the orange zest and sea salt. Add coconut oil and mix well to combine. Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine almond extract with strawberries and raspberries; gently toss to combine. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Remove almond mixture from the refrigerator. Using your fingers, crumble the mixture and place it on top of the strawberries and raspberries, covering the surface.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with fresh basil, mint and the remaining teaspoon of orange zest. Serve warm.