I know what you’re sayin’…
Amie, what the heck is Teff?
Am I right?
It’s just a simple little gluten-free grain.
Yep, that’s all. Nothin’ fancy to this dish- no crazy bells or whistle attached like a Coach bag, hehe.
But if you’re having a nervous breakdown because your local food store doesn’t have a clue what Teff is…
Either find a Whole Foods Market or a health food store- they’ll surely have Teff.
But if you’re in a pinch and don’t have time to hop in the car and explore the aisles of the food store for this wild grain- simply take a deep breath.
Ya wanna known why?
Because all you’ve gotta do is substitute it for rice or quinoa and you’re all set.
I’m sure you’ve got some white, brown, wild or black rice in that ol’ pantry of yours.
And I know you’ve got some pretty quinoa in there too, don’t ‘cha?
So, break it out- cook it up and simply toss it together with these other ingredients.
And if you do have Teff lying around your pantry- well heck- you just made my day and you’re gunna love the taste of this salad.
Actually you’re gunna love it either way- whether you can find some teff or not.
Simple as that.
So once again, I’ve teamed up with my buddy Heather for our Summer Salad Series. She made an amazing Sweet Pea Shoot & Radish Summer Salad over at Yum Universe.
It’s pretty gosh darn good- I’m not gunna lie.
I think her’s is better than mine.
So you might wanna make her’s first.
- 1 large yellow summer squash , cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 cups cooked teff (gluten-free grain)
- 1 cup steamed spinach
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. ground chia seeds
- 1 large head Bibb lettuce
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish, if desired
- In a large bowl, combine squash, teff, spinach, scallions and onion.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, lemon zest, olive oil, chia seeds, sea salt and pepper.
- Pour chia seed dressing over squash mixture; gently toss to combine.
- Carefully break apart pieces of Bibb lettuce and place into serving dishes. Portion teff mixture on top. Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired.