Last night I thought about the things I loved this week and the list goes a lil’ something like this:
- Springtime in Manhattan
- A good book on a rainy day
- A pitcher of ice water with fresh lemons, cucumber and mint
- People watching from a tiny Soho coffee shop
- Spending the weekend with my sister in Brooklyn’s Prospect Park
- Dainty, homemade gold jewelry from a Nolita sidewalk vendor
- Easy morning breakfast recipes
But what I don’t love is that so many people who are gluten-free can’t enjoy oats. It’s sad and I wish it didn’t have to be like that but I’m here to show you a quick n’ easy baked oatmeal that is perfect for breakfast Monday thru Friday.
That’s right…bake it up on a Sunday night and store in the fridge for a weeks worth of hearty breakfasts.
It doesn’t get much easier than that.
I mean, come on sometimes you just need a big bowl of oats in your life without worrying if you’ll still be able to fit into your bikini this Memorial Day weekend.
Am I right?
This recipe was inspired by my father who eats oatmeal every single morning and never tires of it. Nope- he’s a regular with the oats and this upcoming weekend I’ll be visiting him at the beach … I’m going to surprise him by making this baked oat recipe and hoping he enjoys it.
He needs a lil’ variety in his life, or his mornings, shall I say.
So I’m gunna do just that.
Anyway, the ingredients are quite simple.
And the secret is in the fresh berries along with a drizzle of honey to top it all off.
I was so excited to find these fresh berries at the Union Square Farmer’s Market on Saturday. Call me crazy but these berries smelled incredible. They made my entire apartment smell amazing.
I highly recommend hunting some down at your local farmer’s market for this recipe.
The best part is that this baked oatmeal can be enjoyed all week. Crazy, huh?
Well, not really.
It’s great as an afternoon snack, too with a nice dollop of Greek yogurt.
Now we’re talkin’.
- 2 cups uncooked gluten-free oats
- ¾ cup slivered almonds
- 2 Tbsp. stevia
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1¾ cups almond milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 tsp. gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- Honey, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick baking spray.
- Combine oats, almonds, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and sea salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk almond milk, egg, butter, and vanilla extract.
- Transfer oat mixture to prepared baking dish; layer the almond milk mixture on top of oats. Scatter blueberries and strawberries on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and the oat mixture has set. Remove from oven; set aside to cool for 5 minutes before serving with a drizzle of honey.