Honey comes from bees.
Apples come from trees.
But homemade cookies come from heaven.
Or a good friend down the street on Park Avenue.
I have a new (well, old) recipe for you today and I know you’re gunna love it.
I love the feeling of baking homemade cookies. It makes me feel so domestic, like my Grandma Isabel or my Nanny Emily. Just thinking of their skin-so-soft hands helping me mix the batter when I was a young one.
There’s something special about chocolate chip cookies, isn’t there?
They’re so simple, yet so darn good.
Why is that?
I mean it isn’t every day that you come across a simple food that tastes good…well, that is unless you’re hanging out with me.
I just love every bit of these little cookies.
Leave it to me and Kirstin to bake up some tasty chocolate chip cookies. Her gluten-free recipe is amazing and you will love.
If you’re anything like me, you love nothing more than pulling a hot sheet of semi-sweet, golden brown cookies out of the oven. Bonus points if the cookies are a cinch to make, don’t require much thought and can be eaten alone.
Or with a sprinkle of chili powder on top.
You know I love me some sweet n’ savory.
This is the first thing I’ve baked at Kirstin’s and it felt so good. Almost better than yoga. It’s been awhile since I’ve gotten my paws dirty in dough and I was yearning for that lovely hot flash that heats up my apartment when I open the oven.
I’ve made my fair share of gluten-free chocolate chip cookies but I won’t lie and say I wasn’t happy to make this old fashioned recipe.
The end result is a golden brown, slightly sweet chocolate chip cookie that’s gluten-free and loaded with sweet goodness.
Let it be known though that these cookies have a touch of cashew flavor to them.
Why’s that, you ask?
Because, along with my addition of chili powder, I added in some ground cashews, too.
A little extra protein boost.
It’s more incentive to take a bite, right?
Chocolate Chip Chili Cookies
Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free
Makes 40 cookies
- 1 cup Spectrum Naturals Organic Shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons Brown Rice Flour Mix (see below)
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. xanthum gum
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup cashews
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Beat shortening and sugar with electric mixer. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until fluffy.
- Add flour, baking soda, xanthum gum, salt and chili powder. Mix at medium speed until well blended. Add chocolate chips; mix by hand until well combined. Grind cashews in a coffee grinder to make cashew flour. Then mix 2 parts cookie dough with 1 part cashew flour.
- Drop tablespoon of dough onto cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake in center of oven for 8-10 minutes until light golden brown.