There’s just something about a simple sugar cookie.
Those winter nights tucked into my home baking cookies and preparing for holiday gatherings…
The smell of sugar cookies coming from my oven and a pretty candle in my kitchen.
On a special holiday occasion I’d roll out the gluten-free goods and get to work. I’d light my candle for a bit of inspiration and it helped.
So every year around this time I think back to the holiday memories baking with my mother, sister and grandmother when I was a young girl.
And now although alone in my Manhattan apartment, the little flicker of my Yankee Candle Christmas Cookie makes me smile.
It still inspires me.
Even if I’ve been working all day, I’ll take a look at the candle’s pretty glass jar…light ‘er up and take in the sugar cookie goodness. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. It’s just like smelling the memories, isn’t it?
It makes me wanna bake.
Like 2 dozen.
Yes. 2 dozen is a lotta gluten-free yummy sugar cookies.
They’re nice and hot n’ fluffy right now.
Just came out of the oven and I’m waiting for you to come over.
It hasn’t started snowing yet, but I’m hoping for a white Christmas.
So, come over.
Have a bite.
These ain’t no ordinary sugar cookies.
As always, leave it to me to create a fun spin…
This time with grapefruit.
A touch of natural sweetness in each cookie.
They’re pretty hard to resist.
Seriously, they’re impossible to resist.
You’ll love them.
(bite, bite, bite……….Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm).
Ya wanna come over?
Gluten-Free and Vegan
Makes 2 dozen
- 2/3 cup Earth Balance Vegan Butter Sticks, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Egg substitute for 2 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp. chunky applesauce
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 2 Tbsp. grapefruit zest
- 1 1/2 tsp. gluten-free almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups potato starch
- 1 1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 3/4 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine Earth Balance Vegan Butter Sticks and sugar until fluffy. Add in egg substitute, applesauce, grapefruit juice, peel and almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients; mix to combine. Add to wet mixture; mix until smooth, approximately 2 minutes.
- Using your hands, form batter into golf ball-sized shapes. Place on a baking sheet and then into the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; set aside to cool before serving.
Amanda | Gluten Free Maui | Simple Shortbread
Brooke | B & the boy! | Candy Cane Shortbread
Caleigh | Gluten Free[k] | Mulled Spice Cookies
Caneel | Mama Me Gluten Free | Cardamom Date Cookies
charissa | zest bakery | Coconut Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Caroline | The G-Spot | Double Chocolate Chip Peppermint Cookies
Claire | Gluten Freedom | Chai Latte Cashew Cookies
Erin | The Sensitive Epicure | Spritz Cookies with Jam
gretchen | kumquat | Classic Sugar Cookies
Irvin | Eat the Love | Apple Brown Butter Bay Leaf Spice Cookies
Jean | Gluten Free Doctor Recipes | Reindeer Cookies
Jenn | Jenn Cuisine | Basler Brunsli
Jonathan| The Canary Files | Vegan Salted Oatmeal Cherry Cookies
Karen | Cooking Gluten Free! | Mexican Wedding Cakes
Lisa from Gluten Free Canteen | Molasses Rum Raisin Cookies
Mary Fran | frannycakes | Pinwheel Cookies
Meaghan | The Wicked Good Vegan | Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Meredith | Gluten Free Betty | Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Morri | Meals With Morri| Stevia Sweetened & Grain-Free Thumbprint Cookies with Apricot Preserves
Pete & Kelli | No Gluten, No Problem| Belgian Speculaas Cookies
Rachel | The Crispy Cook | Melomakarona
Silvana Nardone | Silvana’s Kitchen | Old-School Italian Jam-Filled Hazelnut Cookies
T.R. | No One Likes Crumbley Cookies | Cinnamon Lemon Cookies
Tara | A Baking Life | Walnut Shortbread