I spent last night brainstorming recipes for eggplant in my head.
The list went on and on…
When I was growing up, my Pop-Pop taught me how to make eggplant parm and we honestly made it twice a week as soon as I got home from school. It was amazing and he made the best eggplant parm I’ve ever had. Here we are many years later where I can’t have those glutenous breadcrumbs and still can’t eat dairy, so I decided to get a bit creative and make a simple eggplant dish. Pop-Pop always served his eggplant parm over slippery pasta to soak up all the creamy goodness. It was one of my favorite childhood meals.
I had two pretty n’ purple eggplants in my fridge this week and lots of fun condiments from balsamic to paprika and hummus to fresh basil leftover from my guacamole making adventure, and instantly eggplant fries popped into my head.
What a fun snack to make on a chilly Manhattan day. Quick, simple and can be in the oven in less thatn 5 minutes. You only need a few ingredients. Eggplant, check. Sea salt, check. Balsamic vinegar, check. Fresh basil and paprika, check and check. You probably have these ingredients already hiding in your fridge and pantry so it’s an easy one to whip up.
Sound fun, doesn’t it?
You might like them so much that you make ’em again next week.
Gluten-Free and Vegan
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup green tea, brewed and chilled
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 1/3 tsp. sea salt
- 5 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine balsamic, olive oil, green tea, lemon juice, sea salt, basil, paprika and flax seeds; mix well to combine. Set aside.
- Slice eggplant into 1/3 inch slices. Dip each eggplant slice into balsamic mixture to coat. Place eggplant slices onto a baking sheet or roasting pan. Toss lemon wedges on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven; set aside to cool for 2 minutes.
- Serve warm with fresh tomato sauce, pesto or hummus for dipping.
As part of the Foodbuzz Featured Publisher program, I have been entered for the chance to win a trip to Greece courtesy of FAGE. You too can enter to win one of three trips to Greece by entering the FAGE Plain Extraordinary Greek Getaway here: http://www.fageusa.com/community/fage-greek-getaway