I know what your thinking…’Amie, you’re crazy for baking a cake when it was 98 degrees here in Manhattan all week’…But, I just had to … I had a yearnin’ for some bakin’ and when I get the yearnin’ … I make it happen. I took a nice stroll over to the newest Whole Foods Market on the Upper West Side (which is honestly my new home because I love it o’ so much, hehe) to purchase some fresh grapefruit, poppy seeds and an exceptionally pure olive oil.
I choose a few ruby red grapefruits that were incredibly tender and juicy…I simply couldn’t resist. By the time I got back to my lil’ apartment, I had created a gluten-free masterpiece in my mind. I leave you with my latest creation…the best cake I’ve made yet and let me tell you, this one will surely knock your socks off…
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups stevia for baking
- 1/4 cup cup olive oil
- 1 ½ cups almond milk
- 4 tablespoons fresh grapefruit
- 1 tablespoon fresh grapefruit zest
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Greek yogurt, for topping
- Agave nectar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; spray a 9-10” round spring-form pan with non-stick baking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs and sugar.
- Slowly add oil, almond milk, grapefruit juice and zest; mix well to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix together almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon, chili powder, poppy seeds, baking soda and sea salt.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture; mix well to combine.
- Transfer batter into a 9-10” round greased pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 20 minutes. Gently remove the cake, place onto a platter to cool completely. Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a drizzle of agave nectar.