Last night I decided to create a tasty, unique dinner…something I’ve never made before…falafel balls, and boy o’ boy did they turn out delicious! With the big snow storm coming our way, I snuggled into my apartment and created a warm falafel pita overflowing with extra veggies, of course. The combination of seeds, nuts n’ chickpeas makes this dish incredibly palate pleasing.
- 2 cups canned chick peas, drained, rinsed and mashed
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- 2 cups bran crumbs
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax seeds
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup cashews, finely ground
- 2 Tbsp. butter substitute
- Egg substitute for 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Dash of coriander
- Dash of sea salt and pepper
- Whole grain or gluten-free pita bread
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cucumber, finely sliced
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 cup dark leafy greens
- Fresh lemon wedges
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except butter and egg substitute; mix well.
- Slowly add eggs and melted butter substitute.
- Shape with hands into ball forms approximately 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Roll balls in bran crumb mixture.
- Place balls on a cooking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Let falafel balls cool and stuff into pita bread with cucumbers, onion, greens and a dollop of Greek yogurt.
- Drizzle with juice from lemon wedges.