Who doesn’t love bread pudding? So soft and smooth, so incredibly moist…yum, I’m getting hungry just thinking about it. I’ve created a healthy gluten-free bread pudding that is made with raw cacao and macadamia nuts, which are two ingredients that are sure to knock your socks off with one bite. This recipe is not too rich, yet not dull either…I’ve added the perfect touch of natural sweetness to keep your taste buds dancing and your belly trim during this holiday season. And what is a recipe without cinnamon? Well, it surely is not a recipe unless I’ve tossed a pinch of cinnamon in…as it truly is one of my favorite ingredients to use. Enjoy this bread pudding with your friends and family this holiday season for a sure crowd pleaser.
- 5 slices gluten-free bread, torn into small pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup rice milk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ cup macadamia nuts, purred in food processor
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate chips
- Topping: Oikos Greek plain yogurt
- Topping: Fresh mint leaves
- Topping: Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread bread in the dish in an even layer.
- Whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Add rice milk, sugar, raw cacao, vanilla and cinnamon; whisk the mixture until the sugar and cocoa dissolve. Pour the cocoa mixture over the bread. Mix in any un-soaked bread pieces. Sprinkle pureed macadamia nuts and chocolate over the top and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Bake until golden brown, puffed and set in the middle, about 45 minutes. Serve warm, with a scoop of Greek yogurt, a fresh mint leaf and a sprinkle of unsweetened coconut on top.
Bread pudding is such a unique dessert, I’d love to hear your feedback on this recipe as it’s one of my favorites to create.