Last night I whipped up a batch of agave sweetened chickpeas. Over the years, I’ve roasted my fair share of chickpeas, however this time I opted for adding a sweet bite to these crunchy nibbles.
These tasty chickpeas pack a nice dose of protein and are perfect atop your morning oatmeal, afternoon salad or tossed into your evening brown rice and vegetables. Today I decided to bring these sweet roasted chickpeas as my afternoon snack-they’re easy to toss into a Ziploc bag and are perfect for a quick n’ easy on-the-go snack.
I purchased 2 cans of Eden Organic Chickpeas and tossed them into my oven to roast with agave nectar, olive oil, cinnamon, basil, sea salt and a tiny pinch of ground white pepper. A half an hour later–I was in chickpea heaven! These babies will cure any sugar craving and are a great way to satisfy your yearning for a bit of crunch.
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 4 Tbsp. agave nectar
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of sea salt
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas; blot with a paper towel to ensure they are completely dry.
- In a large bowl, toss chickpeas with agave nectar, olive oil, basil, cinnamon, sea salt and freshly ground white pepper; gently toss until chickpeas are completely coated with mixture.
- Transfer to a roasting pan and bake for 40 minutes or until desired crunchiness. Extra crunch chickpeas can bake for about 45 minutes, while softer chickpeas only need about 30 minutes.
Another great way to incorporate these healthy bites into your day is by tossing them into your yogurt parfait in lieu of granola…simply top Greek yogurt with the roasted chickpeas and fresh fruit for a tasty, protein-packed snack.