There’s nothing like a side of baked beans at your summer BBQ; here’s an easy recipe that you can quickly whip up the next time you light up the outdoor grill! I love the taste of baked beans, however, I try to make my own from scratch when I have the time. I steer clear of the processed, canned baked beans due to their high sodium count and additives, which can be quite troublesome to my stomach.
- 1 can chickpeas (drained/rinsed)
- 1 can kidney beans (drained/rinsed)
- 1 packet NuNaturals Stevia
- 1 Tsp. agave nectar
- 1 ripe avocado (cored and peeled)
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. grain mustard
- 5 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- Dash of Nu-Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium size bowl, combine the agave nectar, mustard, balsamic vinegar, stevia and avocado. Mash the avocado until there are no chunks. After mashing, be sure to mix the agave nectar, stevia and avocado well.
- Add in the chickpeas; continue to mash slightly so you leave the bean shape but also get a smooth consistence. Slowly add in the kidney beans; continue to mash. Add onion and basil. Mix well. Sprinkle with desired amount of Nu-Salt and pepper.
- Transfer to the stove top and cook for 20 minutes over Medium heat, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and serve warm or chilled.