Since the recent June weather here in Manhattan has been anything but sunny and warm these past few weeks, I’ve decided to be productive on the rainy evenings and keep myself busy in my tiny Manhattan kitchen- stirring up some healthy and delicious ‘comfort-food’ recipes for my dinners.
Last night, I decided to experiment by making a vegetarian ‘meat-less’ meat loaf–it was absolutely delicious and the best part about this easy meal is that you can easily enjoy it again the next day crumbled atop of pasta or a salad and vegetables for lunch leftovers!
- 1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup cashews, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup spinach, cooked
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. brown rice flour
- 2 Tbsp. agave nectar
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of Nu-Salt and pepper
- Galaxy Vegan Parmesan cheese, for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease baking pan; set aside.
- Mash black beans and chick peas with a large spoon.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed beans and peas with all other ingredients.
- Spoon into pan and press down firmly with a spatula.
- Bake for 40 minutes.