Last night, I decided to get a little creative in my kitchen…I started with a large onion that I recently purchased at the farmer’s market. Before I knew it, I was creating my very own ‘Healthy’ onion rings.
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cup crushed mixed nuts
- 1 cup crushed ‘coating’ (your choice of the following ‘coatings': whole wheat pretzels, bran crackers, cornmeal, whole wheat cereal)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- Chili Powder
- Olive Oil
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grind nuts and your choice of ‘coating’ above. Place into a small bowl and set aside.
- Beat 2 eggs in a small bowl and set aside.
- Slice onion lengthwise into disk-like shapes.
- Separate onion rings and dip into liquid egg, then into bowl of ‘coating’. Be sure to coat each onion ring completely with ‘coating’.
- Place each fully ‘coated’ onion ring onto a baking sheet drizzled with olive oil.
- Sprinkle chili powder and rosemary atop each onion ring.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, depending on how crispy you would like them.
This is a great way to enjoy your onion rings-Guilt Free! Do you have any foods that you’d like to alter the recipe for a healthier version? If so, let me know and I’ll do some experimenting in my kitchen for you.